Earlier today, when my husband told me what he was going to make for dinner, I knew it needed to be put on here. This recipe is a twist on my mother-in-law’s recipe for a soup/chicken gumbo, which I’m 99% sure was taken off a […]
I can’t believe it is day 25 of the September Whole30! Seriously, where the heck did September go? This round went pretty smoothly. I navigated through some family gatherings (shoutout to my uncle for grilling me up a compliant sausage alongside the hotdogs everyone else […]
This week has been another good one budget-wise and food wise! Onions Diced tomatoes Coconut cream Bacon Arrowroot Chicken tenderloins Mushrooms Aidell’s Chicken and Apple Sausage Aidell’s Ginger and Scallion Sausage these sausages are my lifesavers and thankfully were on sale! Bell peppers coleslaw Meals […]
Well, it’s been a while since I have posted a grocery list. The truthful reason is that we have been slacking on meal prepping! We went camping two weeks ago, and have people over through the holiday weekend. This meant that meal prepping got lowered on our priority list. We were also burnt out of Whole30/Paleo meals. It took almost a year and a half but we just could.not.think.of.anything that actually sounded good. Then, we realized that we both felt awful and needed to be eating better. When we eat better, we feel better. It sounds cliche, but it’s really that simple.
Everything came from Aldi today! Mostly because we were still a little lazy, and Sunday mid-morning isn’t the best time to shop (though MUCH better than early Sunday afternoon)
- Whole Grain Bread (for Riley’s PB&J’s if we make them)
- some spices
- Sparkling lemonade – for the bottle! It’s the swing type kind that can build pressure. Perect for my homemade kombucha!
- Minced garlic
- Red Pepper Sauce – for Travis (it had soy)
- Raspberry Vinagrette (not Whole30, but is Paleo)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Multi – colored bell peppers (x 2)
- Strawberries (x 2) – these were only $0.99 each!
- 2 Dozen Eggs
- Chicken Tenderloins
- Life Jacket for Riley – we were excited to find this so we can take her kayaking!
- Fresh flowers – I showed these on my Instagram but they are super bright and cheerful
- Greeting’s day cards – okay, I was seriously impressed by these. They were Hallmark quality, or $.049 apiece! I got one for an upcoming graduation party, one for Father’s Day, and one for our wedding anniversary (which I think was technically a Father’s Day card? but it worked for this occassion too)
- Bike Pump
- Heavy Duty storage boxes (x 2) – these were quite impressive for the price!
Overall, this is the first time I’ve ever spent over $100 at Aldi! Mostly because of the non-food list. Still, we managed to get a lot of great prices and got three types of protein.
Meals Planned so far
- Breakfast Frittata – onion and sausage this time
- Ultamite Grilled Kabobs (recipe soon!)
- Plantains seared in ghee (Side dish)
- Tacos (beef for Travis/Riley, Shrimp/Fish for me) with toasted cauli-rice
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Side dish)
I really struggle with calling this a recipe, because it is so basic. But I appreciated reading even the basics before my first Whole30, so here it goes. One of my FAVORITE meals is potatoes (sweet, red, white it doesn’t matter), with eggs over easy on […]
Does anyone feel like they tend to always run out of EVERY stinking household good at once? I know that it evens out but from looking at my list it is going to be a more expensive trip. April overall has been a great budget month. If I put off my shopping until Monday it’d probably be a record! Actually, I didn’t end up getting several items on my original list because they weren’t onsale. I’m a big fan of the Sam’s Club “Instant Savings” items and I know that these will be cheaper in the future. Also, yes I had to go to three stores today. Not my favorite thing to do on Friday after work, but hopefully we’ll be pretty set.
- Toilet Paper
- Dish soap: We get the large jug of the commercial grade dish soap. It’s very inexpensive and works great!
- Nuts – whatever is cheapest. This was almonds!
- Member’s Mark Hickory Smoked Turkey Meat – on Instagram I mentioned that I found an excellent option for deli meat. It’s this one! It is not whole30 approved but is pretty darn close with minimal added sugar. It’s awesome to have in the fridge if not on a round of W30. For whatever reason it is ONLY the smoked turkey kind. There are other types that look similar, but are full of junk. We LOVE this for a quick protein.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cheap coffee – I picked up the Sam’s Club brand for the first time. It sounds promising and is the least expensive option!
- Cauli rice if they have it….they didn’t 🙁
- Kale Medley
- Tomatoes – seriously, the small heirloom tomato medley CANNOT be beat. The flavors are amazing and I LOVE that there is a variety of colors/types.
- 2 dozen eggs
- Assorted vegetables – I got arugula but that was the only thing that sounded yummy
- Baked goods mix – I need to bake something out of appreciation for a couple of my coworkers. They REALLY helped me out in a pinch and this is a quick easy way to do so. I ended up getting a brownie & cookie layered bar. It looks delicious! Totally unhealthy, but delicious!
- Gluten free pasta
Local Grocery Store
- Arrowroot powder
Hooray, it’s officially my weekend! My work has tomorrow as a holday, which is perfect because Riley’s daycare is closed. We had to buy a few more items than I’d hoped, but this week the grocery list was still pretty good. I narrowly escaped […]