I love salsa. So much. In fact, one of my favorie things in life is chips & salsa. Unfortunately I cannot have corn (meaning no tortilla chips – though the expensive Siete ones are amazing!), so any excuse to eat salsa and I’m sold! This sweet and spicy pico de gallo is a fresh, delicious salsa that has a hint of sweetness, and a kick of heat that you can adapt depending on how spicy you want it. OH and it’s super easy, just a bit of chopping 🙂
- 1/2 a large red onion
- 1.5-2 cups tomatoes – I used a grape tomato medley
- 2 jalapenoes
- 1 ripe mango
note: this is not a mango salsa! It isn’t overpowingly sweet this way.
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper I recommend fresh ground if possible!
Making my Sweet and Spicy Pico de Gallo
- Step 1: Dice up the onion and put into a large bowl
- Step 2: Roughly chop the tomatoes, leaving out the fleshy inner part of the tomato and mix in
- Step 3: Dice the jalapenos. I leave the seeds in one, and de-seed (cut out the seeds) the other. If you want a hot salsa, leave the seeds in both. If you aren’t a fan or have little ones, you might want to de-seed both. Really the heat is up to you, but I recommend it to balance out the sweetness. Add to your mixture!
- Step 4: Dice up the mango, and add in
- Step 5: Roughly chop the cilantro and mix it in
- Step 6: Juice the lime over the mixute and add in
- Step 7: Grind in ~1/4tsp of salt and about 1/8 of pepper
Again, this is really to taste! I don’t like a ton of salt, but depending on the vegetables, additional salt can help bring out the brightness.
That’s all! Basically, it’s chop everything and mix together. It isn’t rocket science, but it IS delicious!
Sweet and Spicy Pico de Gallo Goes Great On…
- Fish Tacos
- Burrito Bowls and/or Tacos (with Cauli-Rice of course)
- A frittata
- Salmon Cakes – my favorites are this one by Mel Joulwan!
Enjoy during these warm summer months!