Well….we are debt free. YEARS earlier than expected. And I wish we weren’t. You are probably thinking I’m crazy or wondering what is wrong with me for wishing we were still in debt, but let me explain. I received a call from my mom […]
Month: May 2017
I finally used up my DevaCurl Celebrate Wavy Kit! (full review coming very soon!) and decided to pick up a less expensive replacement option. I was looking at a few options (that I’ll probably eventually purchase) but settled on the SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water […]
Recently I went over my thoughts about Why I Don’t Watch Beauty Videos on YouTube anymore. But this doesn’t necessicarily mean I have gone and unsubcribed to everyone I used to love. In truth, I have unsubscribed from several, but there are a lot of YouTubers I still follow that I just don’t watch every video. I dislike a lot of the videos…
So what are Youtube videos I avoid? Well….
- My _____________ Routine: Now several years ago, it was super helpful to watch a “morning routine” video. This usually equated to an everyday makeup routine or skincare & makeup routine. They were informative and simple. In the last five years, these have become a full on production of the most perfect morning ever, as if we all live in a great big fairytale. It’s usually laughable, and often, these are to highlight a single product. Show me a big Youtube beauty content creator who has made a ______ routine that DOESN’T contain a sponsored product. Trust me, it won’t be easy. These have also gone from “My Morning Routine” to evenings, weekends, events, you name it. And most are made to sponsor a product.
Note: some videos, like “current skincare routine” or hair-care are hit or miss. I pause the video before watching anything, and read the description box. If the video is sponsored by a specific brand, I don’t watch it. It’s a guranteed commercial. If there is one or two products that were PR I might watch it.
- Monthly Favorites: sometimes these can be informative, but if a YouTuber does monthly favorites, I have to really question how much they are using of each product. When a new month starts, do they just switch products? I’ve also seen (more than a few times) a “favorite” mentioned that was used ONCE. Um…..maybe that is possible, but I just don’t believe it. I’ll wait for your empties video that includes it:)
- Opening PR videos/ “What’s in my PO Box”/ New In Beauty: these became more popular about a year ago, but when big content creators began showing what they got in the mail. While it is nice to disclose this, it is SO MUCH excess of product, and the reactions don’t always seem genuine. There is just no way a person can be SO excited over every single product, but the creators also don’t want to be rude to a brand by saying something negative right away. From a business standpoint, this completely makes sense and I would act the same way. But from a consumer standpoint, it feels fake. These just highlight more products that are on the market and feel like a huge commercial, even if that isn’t the intent.
Note: I also know that creators make these videos because they are asked! I see the comments too, but I personally don’t like them.
- Makeup Hauls: On the opposite end, I don’t like watching hauls either. I DO completely appreciate that creators are still using their own money to buy makeup occassionally, but there is just SO MUCH EXCESS. The amount in one haul is often what I would need for a year’s worth of makeup. And this is from people who already own a lifetime supply of makeup. I love makeup, but I’m so happy to have gotten to a point where I love everything I own so much, that I don’t really care what else is out there right now. I have a small but wonderfully curated collection. And I don’t want to be tempted to buy something I don’t need, so I avoid these videos. These are the biggest youtube videos I avoid.
- Fashion Hauls: Similarly, there is just so much excess that I see. Sometimes, these can be nice if I know I’m going to need something for inspiration. Usually though, the fashion haul videos I see are put up regularly by the same people. And I’m talking a year’s worth of clothes about every months. It’s be nice to see how clothing is rotated, which a few creators have shown, but very few.
Last in this mini-series is going to end on a good note, which is some YouTube videos I do still enjoy!
This is the first of a three part series on the YouTube beauty community…. ‘I feel like I “grew up” watching YouTube. The OG Youtube. The Lollipop26, Juicystar07, Pancea81, MichellePhan era of YouTube. I remember when Ingrid Nielsen first came onto the scene. To say […]
So if you are familiar with my website, you know that I was able to score the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz for $1.50 at Ulta a while ago. Yea. AWESOME DEAL. And I was so excited to try this because it is such a […]
Sorry that I have been MIA lately. Some crazy things have been happening and I have a major announcement coming soon. But in more simple life things….we just got back from camping, and keeping it real….we ate out a few meals this week. Yep. Multiple times in the same week. And we feel totally gross (and guilty for the budget!). But we are hopping right back onto the budget health train and moving forward. Mostly. The reason for the title mostly healthy grocery list My husband had some completely not healthy requests that I didn’t bother arguing – see below. Camping was great by the way 🙂
Here is my mostly healthy grocery list…
- Bacon (not Whole30)
- BBQ Sauce (not W30)
- Pork Chops
note: I was going to get pork spare ribs, but the chops wre so much cheaper that I couldn’t bring myself to pay almost double for the ribs. Some other time when we feel like splurging!
- Smoked Turkey Deli Meat (not W30 – but a GREAT paleo option)
- Chicken and apple sausage (not W30 but also a great paleo option!)
- Brussel Sprouts
- Pretzel nuggets (hubby’s request)
- Digorno 3 pack Meat Lover’s Pizza (hubby’s request. gross.)
- Cat litter
- Batteries – D and AA
Another note: this week we are intentionally not eating a frittata, but are instead eating chicken and apple sausages with sides. I found myself overly busy and making excuses to not eat frittata. Even after my ways to mix up frittata post, we have gotten to the point of needing something different. I hope that we can return to our typical frittata next week though because the sausages are more expensive, and are not Whole30 approved (Aidell’s Chicken and Apple sausages ARE Whole30 compliant, just more expensive)
Some meals we plan to make:
- Pork Chops with Basalmic Brussel Sprouts
- Shrimp Curry over Toasted Cauli-Rice (W30)
- Grilled Chicken Salads
- Chicken& Apple Sausage w/ sides
Before worrying about budgeting and our debt snowball, I would’ve probably called this article “Worth the Splurge.” While that is similar, I now believe that these items should be saved for, or requested as a gift. These can’t be impulse buys. I’ve been there, done that, […]
OH.MY.GOODNESS. Delicious dairy free mac and cheese!! Happy story time! I was going through the grocery store when I happened to see a box of Daiya Mac & “Cheese.” It was on sale so I decided to take a look because I knew that Daiya […]
I really struggle with calling this a recipe, because it is so basic. But I appreciated reading even the basics before my first Whole30, so here it goes. One of my FAVORITE meals is potatoes (sweet, red, white it doesn’t matter), with eggs over easy on top. This is also one of the cheapest meals too. I bought eggs today for $0.59 a dozen, and 5lbs of potatoes for about $2. Here is exactly how I get potatoes and eggs on the table in about 35-40minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place an aluminmum foil lined pan into the oven while it heats up. (I’ll explain this later)
- Whole the oven is pre-heating, cut potatoes into large chunks (1/2 in to 1in squares or so). Make enough to cover one layer on the pan. You don’t want more than that. If you do want more, line a second pan and get that into the oven asap.
- Once the oven is up to temperature, wear an oven mitt/potholders and take the pan out. Quickly drizzle some olive oil on the pan and spread the potatoes on the pan. You will hear a sear/sizzle. You want one layer total.
note: the hot pan is what will give you crisy potatoes! Same reason why you only put a single layer down 🙂
- Sprinkle salt & pepper (I use my salt and pepper grinders) over the potatoes an dput into the oven for 30minutes
- After the 30 minutes, change from 375 to broil. This is how you will get the top of the potatoes crispy. For me this takes between 5-10minutes but keep a close eye on it because they can go from perfectly crispy to burnt and smoky.
- Once you set the potatoes to broil, put a small pan on the stove top and set to medium heat. Put in at least 2tbsp of ghee into the pan. It should basically cover the bottom.
- Wait a few minutes for the pan to heat up, then drop in the eggs. They should sizzle
- Wait until the edges are fully cooked, then flip and take off heat.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, pile on a plate, and top with the eggs. Enjoy!
Usually, I will actually make a bed of greens (shown at the top is part spring mix, part arugula), then layer potatoes. Then top with the eggs. And there you go: potatoes and eggs. It’s basically rocket science.